6.13.2009

Things 8 & 9

Well, I've been putting off doing the Facebook stuff because there really isn't much for me to do here. You see, I already have a facebook account that I opened back in my undergrad years, and have been 'found' by most of the people I graduated high school with. I guess that's one of the main things I like about Facebook - although I don't use it daily or even weekly, it's great when I want to look up someone from my past and see what they are up to.

However, I have many old classmates added as 'friends' who weren't really... so it's a bit disingenuous.

I do restrict my privacy settings severly on Facebook because I am not comfortable with employers or people I don't know looking through my private info. Although there is nothing on my profile that would be harmful to me professionally, it creeps me out. Also, there was a lady on the news yesterday whose picture had been used on a billboard in Prague without her notice. The company had taken her picture from her facebook account and she happened to have a friend who lived in the Czech Republic... I don't want that to be me!

I have about 10 groups I am a member of currently, though they are not updated very often. Most are humorous - fan clubs for a favorite teacher/supervisor or with fellow coworkers from when I worked for my university.

Nowadays I only go on Facebook to confirm new friend invites or to read messages sent by a friend. Like I said, I don't use it daily, though I know people who did - particularly in college.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah the friends that really were not thing is a phenomana (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5LgDD7FItk) I am familiar with. Have you tried the FLOCK browser? it lets you see your various web 2.0 stuff in various tabs.

    ReplyDelete